Linda, CA Since 1948  

History of the Linda Fire Protection District

          In 1947, the area east of the Southern Pacific Railroad in Linda was plagued with a continuing problem of burning sawdust from a local sawmill on Hammonton Road near Rupert Avenue.  This sawdust, which was spread over property at the south end of Rupert Avenue, had caught fire and had blanketed the area with smoke and ashes for several months.  During a public meeting called to discuss the matter, someone suggested that a fire department be organized.  On August 23, 1948, the Yuba County Board of Supervisors held a public hearing, at which time the Linda Fire Protection District was officially formed to serve the 25 square miles in and around the community of Linda. 

          The original fire station was opened in 1948 and was located behind the current Station 1 on Scales Avenue.  J.S Martin, John Gledhill, and Jack Dunning were elected as the first Fire Commissioners for the new district and would remain in their elected positions until 1972. At the first meeting held by the Commissioners, Charles Miller was appointed as the Fire Chief. The first fire engine was delivered to the department in September, 1949.

          The first station was big enough to house two engines, one office and a restroom. The twenty-five volunteer firemen responded to fires and assisted the strong woman’s auxiliary who responded to the medical aid calls.  The old station is still standing today where it is used to perform maintenance on the fire apparatus and for storage of parts and equipment.

            In 1961, the current Station 1 was built at 1286 Scales Avenue.  The majority of the building construction was performed by the firemen.

             In 1972, changes came to the Linda Fire Protection District.  Dr. Louis Bugni, Larry Trama and Frank Schutte were elected as the new Fire Commissioners.  With the change of Commissioners, James Brannon was appointed the new Fire Chief.

             In 1983, Linda Fire Protection District more than doubled  its' size with the annexation of the Arboga area, located in the south westen section of Yuba County.  Now protecting fifty-two square miles of residential, farmland and commercial properties, a second fire station was essential.  Linda Station 2 was constructed later the same year.  The station is located at 1595 Broadway Road and is served by paid call personnel that live in the Arboga area. 

          On February 20, 1986, flood waters rose after a levee broke on the Yuba River behind the Cal-Trans Maintenance Yard. Station 1 received approximately 4 feet of floodwater inside the station.  Most of the inside of the station was destroyed along with a lot of the District’s records. Several of the firefighter’s homes were severely damaged or destroyed by the muddy flood waters. Thanks to several firefighters who left their personal vehicles at the station, then drove the fire engines to higher ground, no fire equipment was lost. By necessity, Station 1 was remodeled after the flood and was again remodeled in 2006. Most of the work again was accomplished by the firefighters.

          In January, 1997, a levee broke on the Feather River near Country Club Road. One life was lost and many near misses, as some Linda Firefighters and California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection personnel were performing sand bagging operations at the site of the levee failure. Flood waters entered Station 2 this time and flooded several firefighters' homes. The flood waters remained in the Arboga area for an extended period of time. Hazardous Materials were a concern for everyone and a large number of livestock were unable to survive in the flooded area.

          In the fall of 2003, the large community of Plumas Lake was started.  The entire Plumas Lake Specific Plan has over 12,000 homes scheduled to be built. The new construction required the Linda Fire Protection District to plan for and build a third fire station. Construction for the new station began in March, 2006, at 1765 River Oaks Boulevard, and was completed in January, 2007.

          The new fire station, at a cost of just over $4 Million, is staffed with six full-time firefighters, working three shifts, and augmented with call firefighters from the Plumas Lake community. The new facility reduced the response time from Station 1 to the Plumas Lake area, from 12 minutes to just over two minutes for most calls.

          The Linda Fire Protection District is staffed with a full-time Chief and Administrative Assistant who work Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We also have three captains and nine engineers who work alternating 24 hour shifts. In addition to the full-time personnel, we have 24 paid call-men, which include a captain, five engineers and eighteen firefighters. The call-men work hand in hand with the full time firefighters and make up our close knit firefighting family.

 
    (c) 2008 Linda Fire Protection District