Linda, CA Since 1948  

Carbon Monoxide Detectors/Alarms

     On July 1, 2011, in the state of California, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (SB-183) became a law.  This law requires that a carbon monoxide detection device be installed in existing dwellings intended for human occupancy that have a fossil fuel burning appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage.

     Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned.  When this gas is present in the air it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.  Low levels in the air can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches.  Moderate levels can cause severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea and fainting.  High levels or prolonged exposure can lead to death.

Placement

Where to place:

  • On the wall or the ceiling.
  • In every sleeping area or in the hallway outside of all sleeping areas.
  • On every floor of the house including the basement, but not the attic.

Where not to place:

  • In excessively dusty, dirty or greasy areas such as kitchens, garages and furnace rooms.
  • In the peaks of vaulted ceilings or gabled roofs.
  • Near ceiling fans, windows or doors that open to the outside or vents
  • In any areas that get colder than 40 degrees F or hotter than 100 degrees F.
  • Closer than 15-20 feet from a gas powered furnace or water heater.
  • Within 5 feet of any cooking appliance.
  • Within 10 feet from sources of high humidity like showers, humidifiers, vaporizers, dishwashers or laundry areas.

Remember to always follow the manufacture's guidelines and instructions for your device.

 
    (c) 2008 Linda Fire Protection District